Wednesday, December 18, 2013

BOOTY CALL


Wow. Been away for some time now again. Seems my writing - or at least my motivation to write - is now more in tune with the phases of the moon than my nutritional requirements. Also, it may have to do with the fact that I am still obstinately offline when not at the office. I lie. I find myself getting more and more involved with my smart phone. I'm continually impressed by her features and her astounding ability to entertain me on the toilet. That is, of course, between the mirthful machinations of one David Thorne.

One such feature that recently impressed is the video recording. In a symbolic gesture no doubt mirroring my future, I handed all my valuables to The Hot Girlfriend. With the request to please record video for at least one of the songs I was about to perform. What I got back was amazing. My pocket-calculator-moonlighting-as-a-glass-snooker-table actually takes better video than some of the cameras we had scattered around the event.

I'm trying ever so subtly to tell you I played a show last week. Two, actually. The first was the (you have no idea how) long awaited launch of my main band SUBVERS. It has been a million years in the making and finally we were able to share our music with the brave crowd that made it through the daunting Madiba traffic. To everyone who came out to share this occasion with us, thank you! We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. [*A large portion of relief also contributed to our afterglow...]
Judging by the after show drinkfest that lasted (for some) until 5am, on a school night, it was a success all round. I certainly can't wait to do it all again, especially for those of you who weren't able to make it. Catch us at Metal4Africa's Summerfest '14.
Also, a huge thank you to Paul Bothner Music and Mercury Live. Without their continued and very kind support many a live act would not be where they are today.

And then there was Symphonaire Infernus II, the labour of love in which we present Doom Metal classics close to our collective little black hearts. I had tonnes of fun! As much fun as a boy can have with his pants still on. A particular highlight for me was being able to perform VOD's classic 'If I Had A Soul' sharing a stage with the band's original drummer, Paul Blom. It was an honour. Also to Mein Sohn, thanks for all the help! You fucking rock!

Anyway, not to be too much of an arse about it, but I am glad that the media circus surrounding Tata Madiba's passing seems to have come to somewhat of a halt. I truly believe that the man and his legacy should be celebrated forever, but the fashion in which far too many opportunistic vultures treated the entire affair left much to be desired. Clearly what the man achieved in his life has had a profound impact on us all. And if anything, let his passing at least have opened some peoples' blinkered eyes to the gross ineptitude and scandalously transparent inability to give a fuck of our beloved ruling party. I quite liked the way the "Booze For Zuma" campaign backfired, though...

Anyway, it's the final slog. For some, the holidays have already started. I know a certain Princess Pants who is pleased as punch to be here in Cape Town. Her home. Far away from the murky drudgery of the Big Shitty. Next to LordDoom. She makes him cheerful. It's something we're all still getting used to. We braaied there last night. On a school night. I'm not capable of much today other than following the cricket and longing for a swift, painless death.

And on that note, adios muchachos. We're already 2 overs in.

NGDG: Saw a guy at the mall in his EFF beret, all pilled and fluffy. I've seen Ramones merchandise with better durability. Not that I advocate anyone promoting the Ramones in public.

Spread The Love. What Would Tutu Do?


No comments:

Post a Comment