Wednesday, June 20, 2012

FISTING SPECTACULAR!



I'm doing research into how much the heading has an impact on how many reads I get per post.

Much like John Cusack's character in the classic movie 'High Fidelity', I am sometimes prone to list things. Actually that is an utter fabrication. Total rubbish. Truth be told, I'm more like an unfortunate amalgam of the two delinquent music fundis that work for him in the record store. But I needed something to introduce this, my Top 20 of My Favourite All Time Songs That Never Fail To Inspire Me Or Make Me Feel Better. Or Just Simply Happy And Content. More So Than Usual:

  1. Better Than You - Swans
  2. Mona Lisa, Mother Earth - Swans
  3. 100 Years - Cure
  4. Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
  5. Every Day Is Like Sunday - Morrissey
  6. November Spawned A Monster - Morrissey
  7. Take My Scars - Machine Head
  8. One Last Goodbye - Anathema
  9. Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us - Paradise Lost
  10. For You - My Dying Bride
  11. From Darkest Skies - My Dying Bride
  12. Can't Bee - Moonspell
  13. Mutter - Rammstein
  14. Edie Ciao Baby (Acoustic) - The Cult
  15. Chord Of Souls - Fields Of The Nephilim
  16. What I Am - Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians
  17. Heavy Weather Traffic - Katydids
  18. Amelia - The Mission
  19. If I Had A Soul - V.O.D.
  20. The New Style - Beastie Boys
This is not in order and is subject to change, but a lot of the tracks that mean a lot to me are in there. Go and have a listen to them if you feel like it, for your own edification or simply for your own nostalgic purposes.

Reminds me of that guy in the army that had a thing for Prince's 'Purple Rain'. The song, not the entire album, which has my favourite Prince song on it, 'Darling Nikki'. Anyway, snuggled cozily in the bleach-permed bosom of Bloemfontein, trying to make it through a year of avoiding the fucking morons with pips (and chips) on their shoulders or stripes on their arms, I found myself in a bungalow with a guy called Bennie. This cat had a little radio/cassette player. He liked 'Purple Rain' so much, he'd play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, then play it, then rewind it, you get the picture...

I, on the other hand, had a monstrous old-school ghetto blaster type of affair and one day had had enough of the artist who at that time would still become known as Symbol. So I upped the ante and the volume. It was entirely coincidental that I happened to have a copy of Paradise Lost's 'Gothic' album in at the time. This was not met with much approval.

To cut a long story short, upon arriving back to the bungalow later that evening I found all my possessions, including the boom box and my bed out on the gravel in front of the bungalow. And myself denounced as the bringer of the plague and taker of vestal virgins. It took some persuading and a threatening gesture with a golf club to be reinstated. I don't suppose the fact that I was trying to shag his girlfriend had anything to do with it...

Aaaaaah, mammaries!

And for those of you wondering about my leanings towards heavier, more intense music and why there is such a poor representation on the list above, it's simply that I didn't have space for such gems as 'Heretic Anthem' or 'War Ensemble' - I'll have to bring out a new and improved list at some stage. Just like Tarty Farty Tequila Party, who has yet to regale us all with laments about what women want. In a man. Or is it the other way around, I can never quite remember...

NGDG: "You haven't been to Nandos until you've been to Nandos Gandhi Square and seen a waitress wrestle a deaf vagrant to the floor for selling sign-language postcards to the patrons."

Spread The Love. Ain't Talking 'Bout It.

No comments:

Post a Comment